Easter is the best time of the year for Christians. But Why? Why is the resurrection so important and is there any evidence at all to support that it has happened? OR have Christians been caught up in a fairy tale for the last 2000 years?
First, we look at a conversation between Jesus and the Jewish leaders as recorded in John's Gospel. We look at bias (worldviews and presuppositions) and how Philosophical Naturalism (not believing in anything supernatural) can taint our examination of the Resurrection (which is a supernatural event).
We also look at Jesus' Claim that He is, in fact, God. We also look at Jesus' claims that the resurrection would be proof of that statement. We look at 4 possible ways to interpret this statement about Jesus being God:
- He is telling the truth.
- He is a complete lunatic.
- You could say he was a liar.
- He was just a good man.
We look at why the resurrection is the key to the Christian faith, and without it - the whole thing is just 'smoke and mirrors'.
We examine the facts that most folks believe to be true:
- Jesus lived and died on a cross.
- The tomb was empty
- Witnesses saw the risen Christ
- The witnesses were suddenly transformed
And to explain these facts, we look at 4 possibilities and examine them for reasonableness:
- The Disciples Stole the Body
- The Jewish or Roman Authorities Stole the Body
- Jesus didn’t really die on the cross
- Jesus rose from the dead
Then, with our Abductive Reasoning Hats on - we "eliminate what is impossible and how whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth".
- Alpha Course:
- Main Alpha Site: Alpha.org
- Our Friday Night Alpha Registration: Eventbrite
- Cold-Case Christianity - J Walker Wallace
- The Case for Christ - Lee Stobel
- Evidence that Demands a Verdict - Josh McDowell